Monday, March 17, 2014

Post #4: God Grew Tired Of Us

Hey again! In sociology today we wrapped up the movie God Grew Tired Of Us. It summarised the events of a few African men as they travel to America to escape their own war torn nation. Watching the men learn about culture in the United States, it made me think a lot about what my ancestor's lives might have been like. One of the main characters notes that they had never used electricity before. I liken this to the experience that my great-grandparents might have had when they came to the United States for the first time. Not only were there physical differences such as these, learning about society must have been very difficult. Watching the movie really made me think of how my great-grandparents must have reacted when they reached the US. The movie also reminded me of Stefan Schirmer's 'Bemused in America', and article in which a German journalist reports on his adventures in the United States. The experience of the African men must have been quite similar to Schirmer's experience. The Africans had to learn how to use modern technology, speak our language, and overall function in society. I can imagine this as being very difficult. Both God Grew Tired Of Us and Schirmer's report show how culture can provide significant boundaries for visitors and people who are unfamiliar with the functionality of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment